Sunday, April 27, 2008

First Fever

We have been really lucky this past year in that Marisa has never really been sick. A couple runny noses but that is about it. Well, last night it finally came. Marisa got sick.
After coming home from the beach, Marisa was extremely tired, irritable, and really hot. She also had no appetite during dinner which is EXTREMELY odd because trust me, this girl can eat! After going to bed for the night Marisa woke up around 11pm just uncontrollably crying and extremely hot. She looked absolutely miserable. My first thoughts were, "Does she have heat exhaustion? Does she have a fever?" So we decided to take her to the hospital. To make a long story short, Marisa had a fever of 103 but not due to being in the sun. Just coincidence the doctor said. After some tylenol, a urine test, and 4 hours later, we were able to go home and be in bed by 3:30 in the morning! It was a very, very long night, especially for Marisa who had it the hardest being sooo tired and sick.
On a side note: One of the worst things a mother has to go through in my opinion is watching your child hurting and crying. I guess it is just mother's instinct to want to protect your child at all times and never see them suffer in any way, shape, or form. I'm always worrying about Marisa. Is she cold, is she hot? Is she happy? Is she safe? Is someone hurting her? Is she learning? Is she eating healthy? Is she tired? Is she comfortable? Is she thirsty, is she hungry? Is she clean? Is she sick? And the list goes on and on in my head. I hated watching Marisa go through jaundice as a baby and being under phototherapy lights and I hated watching Marisa go through tests at the hospital. It broke my heart and it brought me to tears in the hospital when they were doing a urine test on Marisa and she looks right up at me with her big brown eyes filled with tears, crying her little heart out for me to stop the nurse. I just don't have the strength to go through things like that.
But in good news, Marisa is feeling a lot better. Just tired and not much of an appetite still, but no more fever. I have a happier baby again!

4 comments:

Parkinson Family said...

you're a good mommy! i know what you mean, i hate it when they get sick!

Brittney said...

I feel the same... a friend of mine were talking and decided that we would rather have 7 healthy kid than have 1 sick kid! It's so hard when they are sick! KAte has an ear infection right now, and its so hard to see her hurt and have a hard time sleeping, i just want her to be better.

Janna said...

I'm glad Marisa is feeling better. It is so hard to have a sick baby because they can't tell you what is wrong. Isn't it sad when they look at you with tears in their eyes but you can't stop the nurses from doing their job. So sad.

Unknown said...

I remember when Emma was a couple months old and she was throwing up her breast milk we had to take her in to the ER and they did the urine test on her and it killed me. My heart broke into a million pieces watching her be in pain and not being able to fix it for her.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...