Saturday, November 5, 2011

Bonfire and Fireworks

Reason #210 why I miss America:

In the words of Rick Perry, "Icecream. That is cheap. Fact." (If you haven't seen this video yet, you should see it so you know what I am talking about.)

Ok, but seriously, food is much cheaper in America.


I wanted to make homemade macaroni and cheese for dinner this week. When I typed in elbow macaroni on my online delivery service, Ocado, nothing shows up. But when I typed macaroni and cheese this is what shows up...


I hardly ever bought mac-n-cheese in the states and I would never buy it here because in American dollars that is about $3.53/box. People! I can get mac-n-cheese from Trader Joes for $1! And can you believe Ocado was sold out!

Second example: So I'm thinking ahead for Christmas and I want to make pumpkin pie. I had previously heard that they do not have pumpkin puree here. Can you believe it? What a shame. I thought I may have to travel to Kensington to buy canned pumpkin at the one and only Whole Foods in London and pay an arm and a leg for it, but I'm happy I don't have to anymore because Ocado has it! But the bad news still is....


In American dollars that is $3.65/can!
Agh! Stab in heart.
But you better believe I ordered several cans of those. :) Oh, the things you do for American food. If you only understood!


On another note, today was Guy Fawkes Day.

I'm not going to go into depth what it is, but basically all you need to know is that it is a pretty big celebration here with bonfires and fireworks.
Right behind Greenwich Park they were having a huge firework show. We thought about going to it but instead we watched Shauna's kids while her and her hubby went out on a date. But honestly, I think we had the best seats just from our house!


We watched out the window as floods of people were walking up to the heath to watch the show. Taxis and cars were all dropping off people and trying to find parking spaces. My first thought was that it was going to be a pretty cool show.
It looked very promising in the beginning but then it just suddenly ended and people were already started to walk back!
Lame. All that work to see that?? Even happier that we saw it from the comfort of our own homes. Plus, our neighbours were setting off their own fireworks for hours and they were just as great! I love the sound of fireworks.

From our flat actually we saw fireworks from Central London to Blackheath. I love our city view. So, Happy Guy Fawkes day!?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...