Sunday, December 11, 2011

i'm a foodie

I love food. I mean, I really love food. I never understood girls during college who would order small, tasteless salads on a date. I mean, really? You better believe I ordered big meals and ate it all! I need a man who can satisfy me and my tummy too!
But what I really love is darn good, really good healthy food. Over the years I have really fallen in love with cooking and it has been a fun creative outlet/hobby for me. My cooking has slowly evolved over many, many years ago but has especially picked up in most recent years. Partly due to my many amazing OC foodie best friends.

Rachel made this dish I want to share with you all as a side dish for Thanksgiving and I melted when I first tried it. DE-LISH. I made it tonight to go along with my homemade spinach pizza. If only I had a bigger stomach. MMMmmm...


Spicy Squash Salad with Lentils and Goat Cheese
Adapted from Bon Appetit

Serves 6 as an appetizer, 3 as a main

3/4 cup black or green lentils
6 cups peeled, seeded and cubed butternut squash (about 1 medium sized butternut squash)
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
4 cups baby arugula (I skipped this)
1 cup crumbled goat cheese (I use a little more because I love goat cheese)
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I use just a little more of this too)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss squas cubes with 3 Tablespoons of oil, cumin, paprika, chili powder and salt. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheet and roast 20 minutes. Flip pieces and roast for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until tender. Cool.
Meanwhile, soak lentils for 10 minutes in a small bowl, then drain. Cook lentils in boiling salted water until tender but firm, about 20 minutes. Rinse with cold water, then drain.
Combine lentils, butternut, any oil you can scrape from the baking sheet, goat cheese, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper and extra vinegar, if desired.

Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Sounds soo good. I love goat cheese, I think I'm going to try this recipe this weekend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...