Tuesday, February 28, 2012

#febphoto day 28

"It's all about the Elizabeths, baby..."
Lame joke, sorry, but I couldn't help myself.

It took a little while to get used to using British pounds. It took 3 times as long to get used to always carrying cash on me. I never carried cash on me in the states. It's the coins that took awhile to get used to specifically.
In America, we have the penny, the 5 cent (nickel), the 10 cent (dime), the 25 cent (quarter), and then of course the dollars. In the UK, they have the penny, the 2 pence or 2p, the 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p and the £1 coin, and of course the pounds. And the Queen's face is on every single one.


British slang when it comes to money.

A tenner - £10
A fiver - £5
A oner - £1

"quid" = similar to Americans saying "buck"
ie: "I spent almost 60 quid on 2 turkeys for Thanksgiving!"
     "I spent almost 60 bucks on 2 turkeys for Thanksgiving!"

True story by the way.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...