Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11

Marisa's school asked the students to wear red, white, and blue today for Patriot's Day. When laying out her clothes last night for school today Marisa wanted to know why they had to wear those colors. I thought this was a great opportunity to finally tell the girls why today was an important day in America.

During breakfast Tim and I discussed with the girls the events that happened on 9/11. We also showed them a quick YouTube video of the 9/11 footage.
Watching the footage brought back a flood of my own memories of that day. Has it really been 12 years? The footage also of course brought me to tears because the raw feelings of vulnerability, violation, and shock resurfaced again.

The girls didn't really say much at first. They just sat and took it all in. I walked upstairs with Marisa to get her hair done and Natalie stayed downstairs with Tim. While I was in the bathroom with Marisa I asked her if she had any questions for me. She said no at first but then thoughtfully paused and said, "Actually, I do."


-"What's your question?"
-"...Why would they do that?"


At the same time we were talking Tim was having a similar conversation with Natalie downstairs. She asked why as well and also added, "Well, they didn't get all the heroes."


You are right, Natalie. They didn't get all the heroes.

In fact, America bore many, many heroes that day.

Our reasons for telling the girls now were many.  But a few of the reasons were that we hope our girls always know how incredibly blessed they are to have been born in America and to never be ashamed of who they are or where they come from. We hope they can learn from this what true bravery looks like and what cowardice looks like. We hope they learn to be strong and to always stand up for what is right in the face of adversity. We hope they continue to cultivate faith and hope despite what may come their way.

I am proud to be an American. I am grateful for the freedoms and luxuries I enjoy in this country. Freedom isn't free. I am fully aware that many brave individuals have fought and continue to fight for me to maintain my safety and security.
On this day we remember. We remember those who lost their lives, those who lost loved ones, those who showed courage, those who fought back.
We remember that we are a strong nation and that no one can take that away from us. United we stand. May God always bless America.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...